Friday 27 February 2015


Peter John Garlick 6th October 1940 - 15th February 2015



My good friend, Peter, former work colleague, fellow bus museum stalwart and IOW MMOC member lost his brave fight against a long illness on February 15th.



I first met Peter in the winter of 1985/6 when I joined Southern Vectis and decided that I wanted to obtain what was then a PSV license. Coming from London Transport I drove buses regularly but as an engineer I did it on a heavy car license despite having passed a full PSV test. I was a cocky 36 year old chief engineer so just got Pete, who was the Southern Vectis driving instructor, to make sure I knew what the test involved. I was too cocky as I failed at the first attempt due to incorrect mirror procedures which I tried to blame on Pete for not picking up! I took the test again the next day and passed and I am pleased to say Pete and I did not fall out over the incident! The only looser was Southern Vectis who had to pay another test fee.



I organised a Southern Vectis open day and was keen for us to offer drives of buses to the public. Peter shared this dream and volunteered to do this and it proved a brilliant success: Pete was in his element and his knowledge and personality allowed many to achieve their ambition to drive a bus. I was amazed that we were able to hire Coppins Bridge car park for the day and obtain full insurance cover for the event: I doubt that this would be possible today.



He will be remembered as a past Mayor of Yarmouth and was very much involved with the Yarmouth Old Gaffers Festival and Yarmouth Carnival. He also served on the Yarmouth Harbour Advisory Committee where he had also been a commissioner. He had been a Yarmouth Town councillor for 18 years.



Peter bought his Minor from his very good friend Bill Edwards and joined the club in March 1996. It was a Trafalgar blue 1967 4 door HDL 414E, christened H Diddle by Bill's wife Ann. This car looked good above the water line but was not so good below and Pete was forced to scrap it after some 5 years of ownership but remained a member.



With his wife Brenda and friends Bill and Ann Edwards they were known as the Freshwater four. They were regulars at our Christmas weekends (in February) at the Windsor Carton Hotel in Ventnor. Many will remember that before his illness he volunteered to drive the Old Girl for our rally and Bill often conducted for him.

Brenda and Peter


His funeral was held on Friday 27th February at Christ Church, Totland Bay and this big church was full and there were people standing: a tribute to how he was loved and respected by so many. Club friends present included Malcolm and Mary Jones, Dave Gilliam, Helen Danby, Bill and Ann Edwards, and myself.



Rest in peace, Pete and we sent our condolences to his wife Brenda and family. Like many others I will miss him. The club has made a donation to the Hospice in his memory.
 
Peter's Jaguar X Type - nice wheels!
 



Alan Peeling

No comments:

Post a Comment